Thursday, April 3, 2008

Why I Don't Believe

I wrote this for the "newbie" forum on Richard Dawkins.net.  It's a pretty great site and I encourage you all to visit it. 

Adam and Eve and Noah's Ark

Postby Giantbluerobot on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:19 am

For me it was really quite simple. First off, I must qualify that I am not the world's smartest man, nor would I venture so far as to say that I can boast the highest I.Q. on the street for which I live. With this in mind I find it very easy to not believe in God, and that it need not be the occupation of those who are considered high minded or uber-intelligent to continually debate why God does not, in fact, exist. For me it first began with the two stories from the bible which are second and third most popular after that of Joshua the King, or Jesus Christ as he is more popularly known, again a qualification, this polling to determine popularity of stories was very unscientific. It began with a question... If Adam and Eve were the first two human beings on this planet they needed a means to populate the planet, how did they do so? To get straight to the point they used incest. And so on and so on, etc. etc. World populated! Okay, great, now that that is out of the way... This is something that many people around the world are seemingly able to operate with or whom choose to not acknowledge. The second part of the question takes me to Noah and his Ark. God, supposedly, being omniscient mind you, chose to allow his gift given free will children, to fall out of his favor, and then drown them. There may have been a warning in there, not too sure, if there had though, you can rest assured that it is chalked up to the gift of free will. But not all of them drowned, he left Noah and his wife and their children and their spouses. So to skip right to it, we now have two instances in the bible, in which God felt it necessary to equip his "children" with incest as a tool to repopulate the planet. Hmm. Some kind of designer. I do not believe in God solely based on this reasoning. I have since thought about it much more and have come up with even more reasons why I think that it is unfortunate that there are those who feel that it is alright to believe and have faith in such stories. For me my struggle isn't on whether God exists or not, but rather, to keep myself from engaging in debate with those that I care about who do believe in God and hammer them on why they choose to do so.
There must first be a God before there can be an atheist.

1 comment:

Baron of Beer said...

Good points, funny stuff. I'm not an atheist, too much damn work, but all organized religions seem to be the old way of explaining things and living life. Doesn't work for me at this point in my life. Here is a funny tidbit on Mormonism that I found on Youtube, it was banned by them in Utah I believe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0d1HbItOo